How can we help you?
Categories: Claims , Home insurance

Who is liable for buildings insurance claims?

Normally it's the owner. As well as covering you for your liability as owner, we'll also cover you for claims under the 'Defective Premises Act.'

Let's use an example. If you carry out work/alterations to the structure of your house which causes loss or damage at some time in the future, after you have sold your property, you'd be legally liable as the building's owner when you made the alterations. This legislation is a safeguard against amateur 'do it yourself' work. This means that if you move, you're still liable for any faults like this that subsequent owners discover. We'll keep you covered for seven years after you cancel your policy.


If this article wasn't useful try searching again:
Email is required!
Not valid email!
Something went wrong, please try again!
Email sent! Please allow a few minutes for the email to appear in your inbox.