In order for your home to be classified as having “approved locks”, the locks must meet the following criteria:
- All accessible windows have key operated locks
- The main entrance door is fitted with either:
- A five lever mortice deadlock
- A lock approved to BS 3621 including UPVC doors with multi-point locking
- A cylinder rim deadlatch with a key-locking handle on the inside
- Any sliding patio doors are fitted with either one of the locks detailed in 2. above or:
- Any key-operated patio door lock mounted inside on the centre rails
- Any other external doors are fitted with either one of the locks detailed in 2. above or:
- Key-operated security devices are fitted to the top and bottom in addition to the existing locks.
To find out if your locks comply with British Standards, take a look at the lock in question – it should show the British Standards kite mark and the number BS 3621.
For more information, please check your Home Insurance Policy, which you can download in the Documents section of your My account.