How can we help you?
Categories: My cover , Home insurance

The Flood Re scheme

Help for flooded homes

Traditionally, it hasn’t always been easy accessing affordable home insurance if you live in an area at high risk of flooding.

Flood Re is a scheme set up between the government and insurance companies to help provide access to home cover. This works by allowing insurers to pass on part of the risk and cost to the scheme, rather than to you.

How does Flood Re work?

When it comes to choosing your home insurance, as long as your provider has signed up to the scheme, nothing changes.

  • You buy your policy in exactly the same way: either directly with us or your chosen provider. You’ll continue to be set premiums based on the details you give.
  • If you’re the owner occupier of a home built before 2009 that’s at the highest risk of flooding, then the part of your home insurance that covers you against flood damage may be passed to the Flood Re scheme.
  • All of this will happen automatically. You don’t need to do anything and we’ll confirm if this applies to you in your policy schedule.

This also means that if you previously had a high flood excess on your home insurance policy, we’ll be able to replace this with a standard policy excess. So you aren’t expected to cover any extra cost if your home is damaged by flooding.

Need more information?

Although you’re not required to do anything to access Flood Re, you can visit the Flood Re website to find specific information on the scheme.

If this article wasn't useful try searching again:
Couldn't find the answer you were looking for?
Contact us
Email is required!
Not valid email!
Something went wrong, please try again!
Email sent! Please allow a few minutes for the email to appear in your inbox.